- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red or white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 5 eggs (or less if just for 2 people)
- Fresh chopped spinach (for garnish)
What to do
Heat the oil in a deep pan or a skillet. Add the chopped onion and sauté for a few minutes until the onion begins to soften. Add the garlic and the chopped pepper. Sauté for another 5-6 minutes until softened. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and stir. Add the spices and mix. Simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes until it starts to reduce. Add a pinch of salt and pepper at this point.
Crack the eggs (one at a time) over the tomato mixture. Make sure the eggs are spaced out evenly. The eggs will cook over the tomato sauce. Cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes or until the eggs are cooked and the sauce has reduced slightly. If the sauce reduced too much before the eggs cook add a dash of water. Sprinkle over the chopped spinach and eat on its own or with chunky bread.